Today Division 1 carried on working with reading strategies in Language Arts and got into solving word problems in Math. We also learned about scale factors, which we will need to understand in order to do the Forbidden City mapping project coming up soon.
- Divison 1 and 2: Proportion Word Problems and Scale Factors
- The light brown rectangle in the map below represents the zoning for a new provincial park. Advocates of protected parkland have been protesting against the small size of the park. Their voices have been heard and the government has decided to increase the size of the park. The new size on the map will be 25cm x 50cm.
- What scale factor was used increase the size of the park? Explain how you know.
- What will the actual dimensions of the park be in kilometres?
- How many square kilometres will be parkland now that the size has been increased? (area)
- How much more park area as been added to the original plan now that the park size has been scaled up?